Tuesday, March 22, 2011

New World: repairs

The screens arrived in the afternoon around 1pm and we moved them up to the textile printing workshop, where other students were hard at work, emulsing, printing and etc.
I was locked out for a while because they were doing some dark room technique and before that I had gone to return the trolley to the office, so I hung around at floaty's space for 20 mins.

I realised that one layer of white to cover the mistakes was insufficient as it was not opaque enough. This was its state at 3.30pm, with 2 layers of white.


I am now alone in the workshop, touching up the final layer that I've just silkscreened. After 7 layers of white, the 2 layers of black that went over did not print well because of the thick surface beneath. I had to use fine brushes to smear some ink over the unprinted spots... which is really nerve-wrecking. I don't want to ruin this piece, which is a third of a triptych.



From here, it looks quite perfect, but when you look close enough, at maybe a 10cm distance, you'll see that someone(me) tried to do some repairs. Well, at least it's better than having an odd eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment